Okay, I found the solution myself: Need to specify \startxtable[split=repeat]
or else.

It’s actually a bit surprising that the value of the “outer” enivornment
(placetable) depends on the settings in the inner one (xtable). I speculate
this might be because the order of the tables might be different as soon as
xtable tries to place them …

Cheers

\startplacetable[reference=tab1,title={A table},location=split]
\startxtable[split=repeat]
\startxrow
\startxcell hi \stopxcell
\stopxrow