When I start a paragraph with a \quote or a \quotation the left quotemark
does not protrude, but when I use Unicode quotes it does. I would prefer to
use the commands. Any suggestions on how I can achieve proper left
protrusion without resorting to Unicode characters?

Cheers,

Michael
% Setup hanging punctuation, less severe style
\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [default]
  %%[protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
  [protrusion=punctuation,expansion=quality]

\setupalign[hz,hanging]

% Setup white space between paragraphs
\setupwhitespace[medium]

% Choose a font
\setupbodyfont[pagella,11pt]
\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]

\showframe

\starttext

  \input tufte

  \quotation{We thrive in information||thick worlds} because of our
  marvelous and everyday capacity to select, edit, single out,
  structure, highlight, group, pair, merge, harmonize, synthesize,
  focus, organize, condense, reduce, boil down, choose, categorize,
  catalog, classify, list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize,
  isolate, discriminate, distinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over,
  sort, integrate, blend, inspect, filter, lump, skip, smooth, chunk,
  average, approximate, cluster, aggregate, outline, summarize,
  itemize, review, dip into, flip through, browse, glance into, leaf
  through, skim, refine, enumerate, glean, synopsize, winnow the wheat
  from the chaff and separate the sheep from the goats.