James Withers schrieb am 18.06.2020 um 17:35:
Hello list

I have been trying to find a solution to how to insert blank lines
before a chapter heading at the start of a page. In the following
example the \blank[4*big] is ignored. The solution I've found is to
add an empty box using \mbox{} before the \blank command.

I'm curious where the use of \mbox is documented.

Is this the right way to do it or is there a more elegant way that I
am missing?

Many thanks

James

\setuphead[chapter][before={\blank[4*big]}]

You have to add the "force" keyword to \blank because TeX ignores by default vertical space at the begin of a page.

\setuphead[chapter][before={\blank[force,4*big]}]

Wolfgang