MWE as follows:

\definefontfamily [mainface] [rm] [baskervaldadfstd] [tf=file:BaskervaldADFStd.otf] \definefontfamily [mainface] [ss] [librisadfstd] [tf=file:LibrisADFStd-Regular.otf]
\definefontfamily [mainface] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\starttext
\tf ffi,

\it ffi,

\bf ffi,

\bi ffi.

\ss THIS IS A TITLE IN SANS SERIF

\tt Monospaced

\stoptext

Context then tells me that:

/mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 6 files: baskervaldadfstd-bold.otf, baskervaldadfstd-bolditalic.otf, baskervaldadfstd-italic.otf, baskervaldadfstd.otf, librisadfstd-bolditalic.otf, texgyrepagella-math.otf/

So, in this instance, and as you explained would be the case, it is loading the sans serif family (Libris) but I note that it is not giving me what I asked for, which was /LibrisADFStd-Regular.otf/. Instead it has given me /LibrisADFStd-BoldItalic.otf/

And I deliberately did not include any maths, or itemize or anything that might involve those symbols, thinking it would not then load the Pagella Maths file, but it did. So my two questions now are

1. Why is it loading Libris BoldItalic and not Regular as asked for?

2. If I am not using Maths so far, why is it loading the Pagella math file?

Julian