Il 04/09/20 11:01, Henning Hraban Ramm ha scritto:

Am 03.09.2020 um 13:32 schrieb mf <mass...@fastwebnet.it>:

Use check=yes

But I need check=no, because my author has several entries like

Miller, Carolyne, born Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein   123–125

Sayn-Wittgenstein, Carolyne of  see Miller, Carolyne

i.e. the reference target often has a different wording from the entry,
and thus \seeindex{Something}{} always inserts a "see".
Now I understand.
Since I'm working with XML, I'm using registers in an even stricter way: the text I'm indexing is actually the ID of a person in a database.
Something like this:

<person-ref idref="v18in231">Carolyne</person-ref>

in the main text results in a \index[miller_carolyne]{v18in231}

In another place of the XML there's a record like this:

<person id="v18in231" sort-key="miller_carolyne">Miller, Carolyne ... </person>

The deeptextcommand parameter of \setupregister is set to a macro that takes the ID and gives back the text of the person.

Maybe in the database there's also another record like this:

<see-person id="v18in242" idref="v18in231" sort-key="sayn_wittgenstein_carolyne">Sayn-Wittgenstein, Carolyne <see>Miller, Carolyne</see><see-person>

that results in a \seeindex[sayn_wittgenstein_carolyne]{Sayn-Wittgenstein, Carolyne}{Miller, Carolyne}

I don’t know how common these "passim" entries are in scientific works; maybe I
could use

Mainperson  firstpage–lastpage

instead to avoid the major hassle of tricking the index mechanisms.

in that case \startindex...\stopindex or \startregister...\stopregister could be your friends.

Massi