Art Chimes schrieb am 08.09.2020 um 00:38:
Greetings, list. My first post here. Please be gentle!

The command \contextversion reports I am using 2020.09.03 20:03 on Windows 10.

The MWE below produces a column and a half of text, not balanced
(despite the \setupcolumns [...balance=yes...] command. Also, the
footnote *number* appears on the PDF, but the *text* of the footnote
doesn't.

However, when I use the online compiler (live.contextgarden.net,
reported version 2020.06.30 17:30, older than mine), the footnote text
*does* appear, though the columns are still not balanced.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\usemodule[ipsum]
\setupfootnotes[location=page,rule=on,bodyfont=8.5pt]
\setupcolumns [n=2,balance=yes,blank=line]

\starttext
\chapter{Footnote Test  —  \contextversion}
\startcolumns

\ipsum

Cursus metus aliquam eleifend mi in nulla posuere sollicitudin
aliquam. Id aliquet risus feugiat in ante metus dictum at
tempor.\footnote{Thor, A.U.: {\it Latin 101 for Dummies} (Rome,
Dummies Pub., MCMLXXIX)}

\ipsum[alternative=lines,n=20]

\end columns
\stoptext

Question (1) : Why don't the columns balance, and how can I fix it?

Replace

    \end columns

with

    \stopcolumns