> Am 06.11.2020 um 12:22 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <te...@fiee.net>:
>
> (2)
> Page/column breaking is odd in that the preferred breaking point seems to be
> one entry too early, i.e. the last entry of one letter end up in the next
> column and the previous column is one line too short.
> It doesn’t change with balance=yes/no.

If one of the \index{D...} lines is commented in the following example, the
last D entry goes into the second column, the columns get balanced, and the
second line of the last K entry is broken to the next page.
If you uncomment that line, it looks as intended (no balancing, full left
column).
What’s wrong? Can I influence this e.g. with penalties?

(Screenshots were too big...)

Hraban

\setuppapersize[A6]
\setupbodyfont[16pt]
\setupregister[index][balance=no,indicator=no]
\showframe

\starttext

%\setinjector[index][10][{\column}]
%\showinjector[index] % ERROR!
\index{Danold}
\index{Drum}
%\index{Dapper} % uncomment to test
\index{Kankra}
\index{Kookaburra}

\placeregister[index][criterium=all]
\page

\startregister[index][test]{Knuth}
  \input tufte
  \index{Donald}\index{Drom}\index{Divine}
  \page\index{Dummy}
  \input knuth
  \index{Donald}\index{Dom}\index{Dunno}
  \page
\stopregister[index][test]

\input darwin\index{Darwin}
\page

\dorecurse{5}{
\input knuth
\index{Knuth}\index{Donald}\index{Dixit}
\page\index{Knothing}
}