Several months ago I posed the following question.

When I start a paragraph with a \quote or a \quotation the left quotemark
does not protrude, but when I use Unicode quotes it does. I would prefer to
use the commands. Any suggestions on how I can achieve proper left
protrusion without resorting to Unicode characters?

Wolfgang suggested the following lines of code; which worked perfically.

\setupquotation [method=font]
\setupquote     [method=font]

Returning to this project after several months I observe that when I use a
\start- stopquotation environment, the quotation is not narrowed. The
\setupquotation command obviously affects both the \quotation command and
\start- stopquotation environment.

Is there an elegant way to apply the \setupquotation command and retain the
quotation indentation?

Cheers,
Michael

Here's a mwe.

\showframe
\showgrid
\setupwhitespace[medium]

% Setup hanging punctuation, less severe style
\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [default]
  [protrusion=punctuation,expansion=quality]
\setupalign[hz,hanging]

% Provide protrusion for quotations.
\setupquotation[method=font] % Toggle this line to see the effect.
\setupquote[method=font]

\starttext
  \startparagraph
    \quotation[method=font]{Love makes the world go round,} as an old
proverb has it\ldots
  \stopparagraph
  \startquotation
    \input tufte