On 5/14/2021 6:33 PM, Adam Reviczky wrote:
Hi Hans,

Yes, sorry about the error :).

Thanks for the explanation, will use lmtx for that, though probably best just using another font (some mentioned on the list https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg92800.html <https://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context@ntg.nl/msg92800.html> and https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2020/098136.html <https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2020/098136.html>) or svg or metapost as I do not need it in colour.

I spend quite a bit of time looking into this (it's already a while ago when I implemented all this and color stuff in otf is a bit of a mess and evolving, so in retrospect it's probably better to wait a few years to see how that works out; the same for variable fonts ... hadr to deal with when there are not many fonts and fuzzy specs.)

Anyway, the problem is this: these png emoji are using palettes + masks and that combinaiton gives:

- with gm (gs) : white background
- with mutool  : black background
- with luatex  : a mess
- with lmtx    : what we want

now, testing all this takes a lot of time in mkiv because building the cache file takes time, so it's one of these moments i wonder if a modern machine would do better than my old but reliable machine. The outcome is that in mkiv one can do this:

\enabledirectives[backend.otfpng.method=lmtx]   % the real deal, slow
\enabledirectives[backend.otfpng.method=mutool] % black bg
\enabledirectives[backend.otfpng.method=gm]     % white bg, default

So, when you have a fast machine or a coffe break, you can use the lmtx method (can be configures in cont-loc.mkiv).

As manetioned, in lmtx it is done differently so no penalties there.

I thought it would be easier via fonts but backtracking on the idea now and maybe using something like this instead: https://thenounproject.com/term/handshake/153516/ <https://thenounproject.com/term/handshake/153516/>.
btw, some emoji fonts have both bw outlines and bitmap color, some use png (bloated), and microsoft fonts have efficient outline color (nice mechanism).

Hans

(who never uses emoji)