On 2021-05-20, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> One thing he asked is what I was asking you: it
>> would be useful if there were a way to sync in the other direction as
>> well.
> You mean sort of trying to deduce from the synctex file where to go in
> the pdf?

Yes. You provide a .tex file and a line number, and maybe also an
optional column number, and mtxrun outputs a .pdf file, a page number
and a coordinate pair or bounding box (I don't know what the best output
is).

> When the 'call external program' approach is used I can have an
> alternative (lua) output that is easier and might do that (less work).
> Lets first go one direction.

Dick prefers to tackle both directions at once: maybe you can coordinate
with each other.

> I only have a very old macbook and an old imac i once got so no real
> equipment to test anythign modern.

I'd be happy to help, and I am sure other users are interested, too.

Nicola