Hello colleagues,

I’m writing a physics textbook with lots of figures, some quite complex. I’ve
been using TikZ, but I’m experimenting with MetaPost. Consulting the ConTeXt
wiki, I found that \startstaticMPfigure and friends are designed exactly for
this sort of use. However, I’m not seeing the documented behavior. In
particular, I’m not seeing .pdf and .mp.md5 files being produced. Perhaps I
don’t know where to look. I thought they would be in the same directory as the
document.

The example from the wiki is this:

\startstaticMPfigure{center}
 draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;
 dotlabel.bot(textext("(0,0)"),origin) ;
\stopstaticMPfigure

\startstaticMPfigure{radius}
 draw fullcircle scaled 2cm ;
 drawarrow (0,0)--(1cm,0) ;
 label.bot(textext("$r$"),(5mm,0)) ;
\stopstaticMPfigure

\starttext
Circle centered \usestaticMPfigure[center][width=1cm] at origin with radius
\usestaticMPfigure[radius][width=1cm] $r=1\,\text{cm}$.
\stoptext

I would expect this to produce files center.pdf, radius.pdf, center.mp.md5,
radius.md.mp5, and perhaps other logs, etc. I don’t see them anywhere.

I’m running on MacOS with a current LMTX from TeXShop with the script:

#!/bin/bash
export PATH=/Users/Gavin/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin:$PATH
~/context-osx-64/tex/texmf-osx-64/bin/mtxrun --autogenerate --script context
--directives="system.showerror" --autopdf "$1”

I’ve also tried MkIV and the TeXLive 2021 versions with the same results.

I don’t actually need the separate pdf, but I do want the diagrams to be
redrawn only when something has changed. Without a .mp.md5, I’m not sure what
to expect.

If the behavior has changed, I can update the wiki. I’m also curious about why
\staticMPfigure is not mentioned in the MetaFun manual.

Thanks
Gavin