Hi Aditya!

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021, 17:43 Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, Jano Kula wrote:
>
> > Hello again,
> >
> > likely a bug and one question. Using this code with lmtx:
> >
> > \starttext
> > \externalfigure[mill][width=40mm,cache=./first,conversion=gray.pdf] %
> > mill...
> > \externalfigure[mill][width=40mm,cache=.,conversion=gray.pdf]       %
> > m_k_i_v_mill...
> > \externalfigure[mill][width=40mm,cache=./second]                    % no
> > visible caching
> > \stoptext
> >
> > *First two figures*
> > Chached image in the ./cache subdirectory has a lmtx name without prefix,
> > the cached image in the current directory has mkiv syntax with  m_k_i_v_
> > prefix.
> >
> > *Third figure*
> > The images are cached to a specified directory, only when some conversion
> > is used. I'd like to cache images without any transformation. Is there
> any
> > conversion which doesn't alter the figure, just caches it? Is new
> > conversion type needed? Or is there other way to force caching without
> > conversion?
>
> Conversion is costly and that is why caching makes sense there. What is
> the benefit of caching (i.e., simply copying the file to a different
> directory) when there is no conversion?

Images are on the remote sever and I don't want to download them with every
run. Images don't change, changed ones have different ID. Encapsualating
jpgs into pdfs might be the right conversion, because pdf inclusion is
fast, right? So I probably answered myself: write a conversion jpg -> pdf
without any changes to the image.

J.