> Am 17.07.2021 um 12:20 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <te...@fiee.net>:
>

>> Am 17.07.2021 um 11:53 schrieb Bruce Horrocks <n...@scorecrow.com>:

>>> i was halfway writing as reader for that fiel format when i noticed that is
>>> is also quite low res so i gave up on that and started playing (extending)
>>> with an more interesting alternative that mojca and i wrote years ago at a
>>> meeting
>>
>> Off the top of my head I'm not aware of any higher resolution sources of
>> global data - what scale were you thinking of?
>
> Can you work with OpenStreetMap data?
>
> https://planet.openstreetmap.org
> http://download.geofabrik.de
> https://download.bbbike.org/osm/
>
> I didn’t find excerpts that only have e.g. country borders or rivers. But
> with usual XML tools you could extract those.

There’s https://osm-boundaries.com, but it doesn’t really work (for me).

You should also be able to select elements via Overpass API, but it doesn’t
work reliably for me at http://overpass-turbo.eu

This is the query for mainland Netherlands:
curl --remote-name --remote-header-name --location --max-redirs -1
"https://osm-boundaries.com/Download/Submit?db=osm20210531&osmIds=-2323309,-1216720&format=GeoJSON&srid=4326&simplify=1";

You also need an API key that depends on your OSM account. Result attached.

Hraban