On Mon, 9 Aug 2021, Hans van der Meer via ntg-context wrote:

> In the TeX to Lua interface with
>
> \def\Macro#1{\directlua{luafunction("#1")}}
>
> the transfer from TeX to Lua is by string. However what to do at the Lua end
> when calling \Macro{}?
> As I understand it, then on the Lua side an empty argument and an empty
> string are indistinguishable.

That is not the case:

$ echo 'print("" == nil)' | lua
false

> This is not always wanted, for example when one needs to place either a nil
> or an empty string into a Lua table. I am running in trouble when to t.key
> set to \Macro{} should become nil or when it should become "".

If you call luafunction(""), the string is empty and not nil.

\startluacode
  userdata = userdata or {}
  function userdata.macro(str)
      if str == nil then
          context("Argument is nil")
      elseif str == "" then
          context("Argument is empty")
      else
          context("Argument is %s", str)
      end
  end
\stopluacode

\define[1]\Macro{\ctxlua{userdata.macro([==[#1]==])}}

\starttext

\startlines
\Macro{}
\Macro{ABC}