On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 11:49 AM Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context <
ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Hello Luigi,
>
> you asked:
> > On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 10:35 AM Rainer J.H. Brandt via ntg-context <
> > ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear experts,
> > >
> > > I want to use ConTeXt MkIV as supplied by TeXlive 2021.
> > > After installation, I ran "mtxrun --generate".
> > > I also tried "context --generate".
> > > Both create output in the wrong place.
> > >
> > > The TeXlive documentation says that ConTeXt uses TEXMFCACHE,
> > > which uses the default $TEXMFSYSVAR;$TEXMFVAR in my texmf.cnf.
> > > My TEXMFSYSVAR is /var/opt/texlive, but ConTeXt doesn't use it.
> > > Instead, it creates /opt/texmf-var and creates its output there.
> > > I don't understand why it used that path; I've never used or configured
> > > it.
> > >
> > > How can I convice ConTeXt to use TEXMFSYSVAR?
> > > [...]
> >
> > What does
> > $> tlmgr conf
> > say ?
>
> The output is appended below and looks reasonable.  In particular, it shows
> that I installed under /opt/local/share/texlive and doesn't mention the
> "mtxrun --generate" output path /opt/texmf-var at all.
>
> Please note that I don't use tlmgr and also that I didn't use the TeX Live
> installer.  I built the binaries from their sources and then installed
> the rest from the texmf archive file. I use other engines on a daily basis,
> mostly pdflatex, and they work flawlessly.
>
> Thanks, Rainer

hm, my
$> mtxrun --variables
says
resolvers       | lists | TEXMFCACHE
resolvers       | lists |   env: unset
resolvers       | lists |   var: TEXMFCACHE
resolvers       | lists |   exp:
selfautoparent:texmf-var;home:.texlive2021/texmf-var

and it's ok. So perhaps  your selfautoparent it's not ok.

--
luigi