> Am 07.09.2021 um 13:15 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster
> <wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com>:
>
> Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context schrieb am 07.09.2021 um 11:49:
>> In my magazine and book projects, I sometimes fix pagebreaking by stretching
>> paragraphs with \looseness=1
>>
>> Unfortunately this works _in my project_ only with MkIV, i.e. \looseness has
>> no effect with LMTX.
>>
>> I tried different examples (e.g. the attached file) and can’t reproduce the
>> problem, there MkIV and LMTX always behave the same.
>> So it must be something in my settings.
>>
>> What could cause the difference?
>> I tried English and German and different settings of alignment and tolerance.
>> Might it be font dependent?
>
> Do you enable protrusion and font expansion for your document font or is it
> just missing in your example?

You’re right, this was missing in the example:

\definefontfeature[default]
[mode=node,liga=no,kern=yes,tlig=no,
  ccmp=yes,language=dflt,
  protrusion=quality,
  expansion=quality]

But that also doesn’t change that the example works the same with MkIV and
LMTX, but not my project.

> Have you checked if the alignment changes when you use the "extremestretch"
> keyword for \setupalign?

I see no difference, and again it works in both versions the same.
It also doesn’t change that \looseness isn’t working in my project.

But \updateparagraphproperties (see Hans’ message) helps, it’s just
inconvenient.

Hraban