Hi,

It's taken a couple weeks, but I nearly have a working bibliographic
rendering for SBL style ready. I'm hosting the .lua and .mkvi files I have
so far, as well as a test .bib and .tex file, on GitHub at
https://github.com/jjmccollum/context-sbl. The look of the rendering seems
to be correct for all of the examples, so the last remaining tasks mostly
concern some lower-level technical issues.

Because of the way that SBL style renders entries that are contained in
other works (e.g., a chapter in a book that is part of a multivolume
collection), it seemed natural to accommodate this by allowing entries to
have cross-references to other entries. The rendering process can then be
handled through recursive subcitations with different alternatives. In
general, I handle these subcitations with the \textcite command, so that
"higher-level" entries are not added to the list when they are only
subcited.

An important guideline that I still have to implement works in the opposite
direction: it says that entries in certain categories should not be added
to the list, but the books or collections containing them should be. I
think I could make this work for the subcitation using the \listcite or
\cite command recursively. But is there a way to conditionally handle
whether or not to add the entry to the list after I invoke the \cite
command, or is this built into the \cite command at a low level? If I had
to, I could define an \autocite command that does all of these checks
first, but if it's possible to keep the common \cite command instead of
forcing users to use a different command, that would be preferable.

Thanks!

Joey