Burton,

Thanks for the info I was able to fire up the beast fired up :D However I still have a few problems..

I ran command

#ntop -dw a.b.c.d:3000

woo hoo it works! The problem with this is it's not using the config file at all, it's running out of /var/db/ntop as nobody when it should be running from /usr/local/ntop as ntop. Also when I log into a.b.c.d:3000 it doesn't prompt for a user or password so anyone can view the stats. When I try to run

# sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntop.sh start

it acts like it works however

#ps -aux

does not list ntop. Not sure what I am missing but I do feel a lot closer :D

Joey T.

Burton M. Strauss III wrote:

Normally, I'd suggest you contact the idiot who provided the
ntop-3.0-freebsdports.tgz file, except that it's me.  And that's EXACTLY
what I use on Owl, my development test box under both 4.9 and 5.2...  So I
know it works...

So...

Assuming you don't have a fancy -w option, ntop should bind to all available
IPs on port 3000.  -w 3000 means port 3000 on all interfaces, -w
a.b.c.d:3000 would be port 3000 on ONLY ip a.b.c.d

I would:

1. Use ps to make sure the base ntop process is still running.

2. Read through the log file and see if there are any startup error
messages.  There's a lot of stuff in here about the entire process.  You may
want to add -t 4 to see it all.

3. Use netstat -a to check if ntop is bound to port 3000

4. Try another browser.

5. Make sure you are sending a legal request - ntop checks the input pretty
aggressively and if you send an illegal request will lock you out for approx
5 minutes.

-----Burton