From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chris Moore
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 10:54 AM
To: ntop@Unipi.IT
Subject: RE: [Ntop] Packet Capture

I'd say tap placement is the biggest challenge for Ntop (or any packet analyser) implementation. There are a lot of issues. As said, on a Cisco you can mirror an entire VLAN - but if that VLAN spans multiple switches, you'll end up eating up tons of bandwidth on the trunks between switches. And if you mirror a bunch of ports or a VLAN to one port you miss things if the total traffic for all those ports exceeds the bandwidth of that one port. For example, I had a request from my higher-ups (regular readers of this list may recall how well we see eye-to-eye) to mirror all the ports on 5 48-port gig switches to one Snort box recently. Er.......there's a reason we bought 240 gig ports; don't you think there's a chance we have more than 1 gig total traffic flowing across these switches from time to time?

My solution is to have multiple Ntop boxes at strategic points on the network - router interfaces, firewall interfaces, etc. I use a mixture of port mirrors and passive taps (http://www.snort.org/docs/tap/). Then look at those individually. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10, I think - I've lost track. This works out rather well, actually. Yeah, I can't get a single report of EVERYTHING going on in my network, but the ability to pinpoint what is flowing across a particular link is quite usefull. I wouldn't have that sort of granularity with a single big implementation. Plus it's worked out well for the budget as each box doesn't have to be particularly strong - I've managed to scrounge most of them from other people's cast-offs.

$.02

Chris