Hi All,
Please excuse my ignorance if the answer to this question is easy:
We've had a couple of times now in our school campus where a member of
staff accidentally  picks up a UTP cable and plugs it back into a switch
not knowing that it is already plugged into the same switch in another
port. So a loopback was created. As a result of this, our entire network
goes crazy effectively rendering it useless until the loopback
connection is unplugged.
My aim is to be able to detect via ntop the port on the main managed
switch which is exhibiting the huge excessive broadcasts which result
from this loopback. From this port  I can track down the location of the
loopback.
Last time we had this problem I was on leave and the entire campus
network was down for 1 whole day. I had to come back from leave and
track down where the loopback was.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
sam