Others probably already mentioned PFRing.  Might also want to ensure
you're only processing data you NEED to.  Maybe you can filter some out
until the rate is something tolerable and still accomplish your goals?

-----Original Message-----
From: ntop-boun...@unipi.it [mailto:ntop-boun...@unipi.it] On Behalf Of
Mike Marseglia
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 10:22 AM
To: ntop@unipi.it
Subject: [Ntop] ntop traffic limit?

Hi,

  I have a question on the amount of traffic ntop and libpcap can
handle, considering hardware specifications.  I have spanned 1Gb of
traffic the following linux system and ntop is reporting a large
amount of dropped traffic.  ntop eventually quits because it runs out
of hash table memory.  I suspect libpcap is dropping FIN packets and
as a result ntop keeps the conversation in memory.

  Given the hardware specifications below, how much traffic can I
expect ntop and libpcap handle?  When I look at the physical interface
I only see 100 drops.  ntop reports no drops.  The majority of dropped
traffic appears to be with libpcap.

CPU
Dual core Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU            5140  @ 2.33GHz

Memory
:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:       2075348    1873576     201772          0       7792
1417668
-/+ buffers/cache:     448116    1627232
Swap:      4000176         48    4000128

listening interface
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr
          inet6 addr: Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:3678032734 errors:0 dropped:100 overruns:0 frame:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:618105664 (589.4 MiB)  TX bytes:492 (492.0 b)
          Interrupt:114 Memory:fa000000-fa011100

Kernel
2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Jun 6 22:22:11 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

libpcap version
libpcap0.8-dev            0.9.5-1

ntop version
ntop v.3.3.8

>From the ntop Global Traffic page
Packets
Dropped (libpcap)       115.8%  30,053,796
Dropped (ntop)  0.0%    0
Total Received (ntop)   25,955,606
Total Packets Processed 25,955,609
Unicast 100.0%  25,955,235
Broadcast       0.0%    7
Multicast       0.0%    355

--
Mike Marseglia
Systems Administrator, OSHEAN

1.0pt 0in'>
"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."