Ubuntu 8.04
ntop v3.2
receiving data on span port from primary layer3 switch

Hi All,

I'm looking at the throughput list in:
All Protocols->Throughput

then
Hosts = Remote Only
Data = Sent Only

I've sorted hosts by Avg (Data)

I've also got SNMP monitoring on the WAN interface of our gateway router
- Cacti @1min intervals. but the bandwidth measurements dont match up.
should they match up?

i.e. when looking at remote hosts on ntop, does throughput mean the
bandwidth the remote host pushes across the gateway?

or said another way, when using ntop's "throughput" and looking at
remote hosts, should the sum of the data bandwidth of all hosts be equal
to the bandwidth shown on the WAN interface of my gateway router (snmp)?

in my case it's not. it's out by a few hundred kb/s. We have a 2Mb/s line

Cheers,

--
Calvin Chiang
Network Admin

"Utilyx" is the trading name of "Utilyx Limited" and "Utilyx Risk Management
Limited" (URML). URML is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority (FSA). This message contains information that may be privileged or
confidential and is the property of Utilyx. It is intended only for the person
to whom it is addressed. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by
any mistransmission. Any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Utilyx. Unless
otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is indicative
only and does not constitute an offer to deal at any price quoted. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain,
copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
all copies of this message.