More info:  it SEEMED to be working fine (<25% CPU) for many hours -
came back from lunch today and once again it was > 95% CPU.  I killed it
and restarted, and CPU is again "normal" - 10% - 25%.  The traffic
loads, number of hosts, sessions, etc. have not drastically changed all
day - and in fact are near the high end right now and CPU load is fine.

So, this tells me that after some period of time ntop freaks out about
something and runs crazy.  I DID have a problem with Firefox blowing up
on my system which had an active nTop tab.  Could this MAYBE be causing
some issues?  Also, memory footprint is about 400MB at this time and was
closer to 600MB when it blew up, I still have plenty of physical RAM and
SWAP - so that's not an issue.  Actually....  Let me check ulimits to
make sure!!!!

Gary