From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Aakash Shah
Sent: 28 June 2013 16:21
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: RE: [NTSysADM] Print server Upgrade

Is there any pattern/logic as to what printers each person will get?  If so,
you could use GP to deploy the printers, and if the pattern is complex, you
could consider creating a script (still deployed via GP) that contains the
detection logic and then adds the printer depending on the logic.

You mentioned below that no two users has the same printers.  Not knowing how
that will look, I will create a sample use case: let's say that each of the 50
label printers is used by one person only.  If this is the case, then you can
consider creating the new print queue with a standardized printer name like
"Dept <Username> Dymo 400", where username is the username of the person who
uses this printer.  Then, you can build a script that checks for this and adds
this specific printer.

And then let's say that the other printers are shared by a specific set of
users - by either physical location of security group.  You could then use GP
to automate this setup for everyone.  Basically, if there is a pattern to it,
then you can build something appropriate to account for it.

This would be more work up front, but it will pay off in the end (assuming you
can find a pattern to it).  This will also help you when replacing/refreshing
people's computers since you won't have to do anything in terms of printers
when you deliver a new computer.

To answer your main question - when we transitioned from Windows 2003 to
2008r2, we rebuilt our servers since there was a lot we wanted to clean up
(standardize printer names and port names, use Universal drivers, etc).

Good luck!

-Aakash Shah