From: David Lum
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2013 8:10 AM
To: NTSysADM@lists.myITforum.com
Subject: [NTSysADM] Is this domain change, or just DNS play?

We have a development department that wants to do what seems to me to just be
DNS hoky-poky. We have and internal domain structure of internaldomain.local,
and this group is asking for DNS entries of
host1.ourdepartment.internaldomain.local,
host2.ourdepartment.internaldomain.local , etc. We don’t have to create an
actual subdomain to make those kind of DNS entries work, do we? Just create a
new DNS zone?

Specifically the request is “we want these to point to the same IP address”

Host2.ourdepartment.internaldomain.local

Host2.ourdepartment.internaldomain.local

Host1.ourdepartment.internaldomain.local

It just doesn’t feel like we’d need to stand up an actual domain in the forest
to achieve that…

David Lum
Sr. Systems Engineer // NWEATM
Office 503.548.5229 // Cell (voice/text) 503.267.9764