From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Ben Scott
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 1:07 PM
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [NTSysADM] NAS SMB server (QNAP?)

SHORT VERSION

  Anyone here used the QNAP appliances as an SMB file server ("Windows File
Sharing") in an Active Directory environment?  How'd it go?

  (Not as an iSCSI target or other block-level protocol.)

LONG VERSION

  I'm looking for what will basically be a network-attached disk drive.
Non-critical file storage for things like ISO images, hard disk images,
archives of old user files, installation sources, that sort of thing.  SMB will
be the protocol.  Clients will be Win 7, XP, and that one Win 2000 computer I
just can't get rid of.  Permissions will be pretty simple, basically a couple
of groups, read-only/read-write/none, pull from and authenticate to our Active
Directory.  No interest in running any applications on the box, nor doing
anything more than file copies to/from it.  We're not going to be running
application off it (unless you count installers).  No block level protocols
like iSATA, ATA-over-Ethernet, etc.  Hardware will be twin mirrored 4TB disks,
maybe a third sometimes gets attached to make an offline backup.  Rack mount.

  One option would be a Dell R210-II running CentOS Linux, Linux kernel
software RAID, Samba, etc.  I've done that before.  It works.

  But management here is concerned that good Linux people are harder to find
than Windows people.  They don't like that my minions don't have expertise with
such systems.  So I'm considering something that comes with a bit more
hand-holding, a bit more "ready-to-go, out-of-the-box".  And NAS hardware can
be cheaper than general-purpose server hardware.

  Specifically, I'm looking at the QNAP TS-412U.  Four bays, what looks like a
decent web UI, claims to do Active Directory integration.
 All sorts of flashy bells and whistles we'll never use, but oh well.
It's significantly cheaper than most rack-mount general-purpose servers will
be.  But if their SMB stuff is borken (I presume they're using Samba, but how
you configure Samba matters a lot), it's no good to me.

  Thoughts/suggestions/experiences/etc. welcomed.

-- Ben