I think I may have cracked this, just to follow up.

It looks like for whatever reason I need to redirect the Temporary Internet
Files folder as well as the History folder, in this environment. You're not
supposed to be able to point it to a non-local path (you certainly can't
with GPO Redirection), but using AppSense EM or GPP you can force it. Don't
quite understand the *why*, but once I've done this I can flip the test
server a day forward in time and still see my History - that wasn't
happening yesterday.

Won't know for sure till tomorrow, but looks more promising than the last
few weeks, for sure :-)

Cheers,

JR