You say it's a DNS server as well. Just make sure you move everything that is
pointing to it for DNS to another server.

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Gavin Wilby
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:24 AM
To: 'ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com'
Subject: [NTSysADM] Demote a DC

Hi,

I have 4 domain controllers on site. 3 are 2008R2 (virtual) and one is an old
2003 (hardware) server.

2 of the 2008 servers are GC's. One of the 2008 servers holds all FMSO roles.
This has been checked by:

[cid:image001.jpg@01D060AB.9C2E2B90]
The 2003 box ISNT DC01.

The domain is at a 2003 functional level. The only other service that the 2003
DC runs is Active Directory DNS.

I want to remove the server from the domain, and with the above there is
nothing more to do then DCPROMO it, demote it, remove it from the domain and
turn it off?

In the longer term I'm bringing a couple of 2012R2 DC's on-stream to replace
the 2008 boxes.

Gavin Wilby
IT Support Engineer

SMP Partners Ltd
Clinch's House, Lord Street,
Douglas, Isle of Man IM99 1RZ
Tel +44 1624 682214
Mob +44 7624 480575
gavin.wi...@smppartners.com<mailto:gavin.wi...@smppartners.com>
www.smppartners.com<http://www.smppartners.com/>

A member of the SMP Partners Group of Companies

SMP Partners Limited, SMP Trustees Limited and SMP Fund Services Limited are
licensed by the Isle of Man Financial Supervision Commission. SMP Accounting &
Tax Limited is a member of the ICAEW Practice Assurance Scheme.
SMP Partners Limited registered in the Isle of Man, Company Registration No:
000908V
Directors: M.W. Denton, M.J. Derbyshire, P.N. Eckersley, S.E McGowan, O. Peck,
J.J. Scott, S.J. Turner
SMP Trustees Limited registered in the Isle of Man, Company Registration No:
068396C
Directors: A.C. Baggesen, M.W. Denton, O. Peck, J.J. Scott, J. Watterson, J.
Cubbon
SMP Fund Services Limited registered in the Isle of Man, Company Registration
No: 120288C
Directors: V. Campbell, M.W. Denton, P.N. Eckersley, D.A. Manser, S.E McGowan,
O. Peck, J.J. Scott, R.K. Corkill
SMP Accounting & Tax Limited registered in the Isle of Man, Company
Registration No: 001316V
Directors: I.F. Begley,  A.J. Dowling, P. Duchars, P.N. Eckersley, J.J. Scott,
S.J. Turner
SMP Capital Markets Limited registered in the Isle of Man, Company Registration
No: 002438V
Directors: M.W. Denton, M.J. Derbyshire, D.F Hudson, S.E McGowan, O. Peck, J.J.
Scott.
SMP Partners Limited, SMP Trustees Limited, SMP Fund Services Limited, SMP
Accounting & Tax Limited and SMP Capital Markets Limited are members of the SMP
Partners Group of Companies.

This email is confidential and is subject to disclaimers. Details can be found
at: http://www.smppartners.com/disclaimer.html

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of this message
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments.  Thank you.