From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of J- P
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 6:11 PM
To: NT
Subject: RE: [NTSysADM] OT: Home network issue

reboot in safe mode w/networking?

________________________________
From: christopher_bod...@glic.com<mailto:christopher_bod...@glic.com>
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com<mailto:ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com>
Subject: [NTSysADM] OT: Home network issue
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 19:50:18 +0000
Troubleshooting an issue on my home network.

Wireless router: ASUS RTN-66U
Wireless bridge: Trendnet TEW-640MB
Internet download speed from provider is 25MB, 2MB upload
All machines are Windows 7 Pro x64

Driving me crazy. About 2 weeks ago updated my wireless router, and also
swapped out my providers cable modem with a newer model (Motorola, not sure of
model). Since then I've been noticing significant slowness in streaming
services (NetFlix, Hulu, etc...) from various devices on my network (laptop,
Roku, desktop). My provider has a speed test page that I've been using to test
(http://www.ptd.net/help-desk/internet/speed-test ). From my main, machine,
which is hardwired to the router, I'm getting 3-4MB consistently. I've directly
connected to the cable modem to bypass the router, same results. Initially
after cable modem is reset, I'll get ~24MB, but it drops off sharply over the
next few minutes and I'm back to 3-4MB. Reset modem, swapped out Ethernet
cable, same results. Finally contacted provider, and they had me hook up a
different machine (used a laptop). And lo and behold consistent 24MB download
speeds. Granted I have a lot of garbage on my machine, but I couldn't think of
anything that would produce these results. Went so far as to swap out the NIC
with an old Intel PRO/100. Same results. So it looks like it's something on
that specific machine. But I can't think of what that would be. If all else
fails I can reload it, not that big a deal. But I'd love to figure this out if
possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Christopher Bodnar
Enterprise Architect II, Corporate Office of Technology:Enterprise Architecture
and Engineering Services

Tel 610-807-6459
3900 Burgess Place, Bethlehem, PA 18017
christopher_bod...@glic.com<mailto:>

[cid:image001.png@01D06D2A.54B338B0]

The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America

www.guardianlife.com<http://www.guardianlife.com/>

----------------------------------------- This message, and any attachments to
it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.