From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of Nelligan, Steven M
Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:37 PM
To: ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com
Subject: [NTSysADM] Question about IIS

I have not done networks nor any IIS configuration for over a decade.  I've
been doing development.

I am having a problem with having an IIS front end to Tomcat in order the use
the Computer Associates SiteMinder.  (requirement)

In production we have SiteMinder talking directly to Tomcat and this has worked
for several years with no problem; but due to pricing issues we need to move to
the SiteMinder version which talks to IIS.

We are running Windows 2008r2 and using IIS 7.5 on the server.
IIS is running port 80 and 443 and redirecting these to port 8080 and 8443.
The problem is we are getting error 400 on long urls.

Sample URL:

https://xxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxx.xxx/fsportal/portal/_ns:Z2NwcmVxMV9fY3ByZXEyfGMwfGQxfGkvY3ByZXF1ZXN0Lz93aWNrZXQ6aW50ZXJmYWNlPTowOndpemFyZDpmb3JtOnZpZXc6c3RlcDIuZGV0YWlsLnBhbmVsOmNmb2FwYWwuZW50cnk6Y2ZvYXBhbC5mb3JtOmNoYXJ0VGV4dEZpZWxkOjpJQmVoYXZpb3JMaXN0ZW5lcjozOnxqX3d1dmlldz0xPS9jcHJlcXVlc3QvP3dpY2tldDppbnRlcmZhY2VcXD06MDo6Ojp8Zg__/carpool?random=0.292144144791900

The above URL is 288 Characters and returns 400 status error from IIS.  If we
randomly delete 18 of these characters, IIS forwards the URL.
NOTE: the two apparent spaces in the URL above are actually underscores.

Following are the changes we made to attempt to override the IIS default of 260
characters.

These are the changes that were made today in testing that did not resolve the
issue.

Changed maxUrlLength = "1000" in IIS Configuration Editor at sites & root levels
Changed relaxedUrlToFileSystemMapping = "true" in IIS Configuration Editor at
sites & root levels
Changed maxUrlLength = "1000" in web.config
Changed relaxedUrlToFileSystemMapping = "true" in web.config

Changed UrlSegmentMaxLength = "1000" in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HTTP\Parameters

Any IIS experts out there which could let me know what I need to do to get this
to work with IIS?

Thanks in advance,
Steven M. Nelligan
Applications Developer
University of Illinois
Facilities & Services - Information Technology Services
1501 S. Oak Street, MC 821
Champaign, IL  61820
E-mail:  snell...@illinois.edu