Alright, I just ran through it own my own domain as a test and this worked:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/1032419?hl=en

Basically, enable 2FA for your domain, enroll the account you want an app
password for in 2FA  and then go to generate an app password. I got a
message saying I couldn't before doing so and afterward I get an app/device
screen with a generate button.