Well, this is not a promising start. I went to uninstall the
UnusedSQLCLuster. I got errors (apparently there was an application
installed (IBM CDC) that was holding the master.dbf open, and also
hanging on to a clustered disk resource. After the uninstall SQL
instance failed, I finally figured out it was probably the CDC app,
and uninstalled it. And now the uninstall SQL instance shows no
instance.

Of course, Failover Manager *does* show the instance, and the AD
account is not disabled.

<sigh>

Now, in this particular case, I can (probably) live with this, since I
am getting ready to nuke the box entirely. I can - I think - just
delete the AD account of the SQL instance, with no ill effects,
especially since I am not planning on reusing that particular name for
a SQL instance in future (HOPEFULLY).

Sound about right? I'm about to evict the node from the Windows
cluster (just to be complete). Then gonna nuke the box, and make a new
Win2012 R2 cluster, and then a SQL 2012 R2 cluster, with a completely
different name.