From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 25 September 2001 14:42
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: DHCP-Release/Renew

We currently have Win9x clients for the most part on our network, and are
using WinNT 4 DHCP.  However, I'm finding that upon lease renewal time, the
9x clients aren't always going out and renewing their leases.  They
continue on with the same address they were given, but frequently the
subnet mask changes to a class B or A.  (We use a class C).

The user doesn't notice a problem until they try to use an app on a
different subnet when (obviously) they won't be able to reach it due to the
bad mask.

The lease time is 10 days, we don't have anything special happening (as far
as I can tell), and I contacted MS about 6 months ago to be told this was a
bug in 9x clients and that I should upgrade to Win2k(of course).  The
enraging thing is that it doesn't always occur on the same clients, nor is
there anything specific to those clients.

Anyone else seen this?

Jeff Johnson
MCSE+I, MCSE 2k
Network Engineer