On Sun September 4 2011, you wrote:
> You do realize, of course, that this error doesn't necessarily indicate
> a problem with your outbound mail server...right?
>
> Now then...from what I can garner from your typically sparse data...If
> you one-off these messages it works OK, it's only when he bulk
> mails...so do the end recipients ever get the message after waiting 72
> hours, or have you never been able to wait that long?  Do they ever get
> duplicates after 72 hours?
>
> How many recipients are we talking about anyway?  100, 1000, ONE MILLION
> USERS?  Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> As to your salient question, where to start looking:
> How internet email works:
> http://email.about.com/cs/standards/a/smtp.htm
>
> Understanding SMTP Error Messages:
> http://email.about.com/cs/standards/a/smtp_error_code.htm

Thanks. I do understand how internet email works. I used to work for an ISP
and got all that explained to me.

As for the number of email addresses...umm... maybe 10-12 emails. As far as
I know they never receive the emails, but that's a very good question. I'll
have to investigate.

I created a distribution list with those particular email addresses on it
and sent a test message to that distribution list. Virtually everyone
received the email within 24 hours. There are a few "stragglers" (I got one
reply yesterday several days after I sent the original email. I'm tempted
to think that was just a case of the user not checking their email
regularly.) So, it's not a case of a message to one of those users getting
through, it's a case of my test message to that distribution list that I
created getting through.
Unfortunately the sales manager in question was not in the office this past
week. When he gets back in I'll see if he's got a distribution list and see
if maybe there's something wrong with the distribution list he's got
(assuming he's got one.)
As for the terseness of my original message, I don't want to burden the
list with useless information and I didn't see how listing the email
addresses was going to help, although looking back, I suppose I could have
"munged" the email addresses or at least given an indication of how many
there were.

--
Thanks,
John Aldrich