The trace routes weren't informative?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt Buff [mailto:kurt.b...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:21 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Curious networking anomaly in Win7 Pro box

Not dropping in the sense you mean - I'd still see a traceroute or
other ICMP packets in tcpdump, but they wouldn't go anywhere.

More to the point, pings to multiple addresses on the same remote
subnet are treated the same, and when he's doing the unsuccessful
pings, there's nothing in tcpdump - just nothing. AFAICT, it's simply
not reaching the office's firewall at all.

Also, no other machine is having this difficulty - if they can ping
one address on the remote subnet, they can ping all.

I even went so far as to have him specify the TTL in the pings at 254,
with a timeout of 300ms (usual response time is ~200m, and I didn't
want to wait the full 1000ms).

As further background, the network firewalls I have are Sidewinders
(now known as McAfee Enterprise Secure firewalls, since the
acquisition) and are a hardened version of FreeBSD. I can ssh into the
box, run tcpdump just like any other *nix and see what's coming across
the wire.

Kurt