-----Original Message-----
From: "Mayo, Bill" <bem...@pittcountync.gov>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 14:21:38
To: NT System Admin Issues<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>Subject: Windows 2008 won't forget IP

I wanted to upgrade the NIC on a vSphere based virtual server, so I
powered down and removed the existing NIC and added a new one.  The IP
was statically assigned.  After rebooting, I got rid of the old NIC
(show hidden devices in Device Manager, uninstall), and I set the IP of
the new NIC to match that of the old and reboot.  After doing so, can't
log into domain anymore and figure out IP is not responding.  After much
troubleshooting, I am able to get the machine working by changing the IP
to something else via netsh (network control panel hangs).  That's all
working OK, reboot a couple of times, and confirm the old NIC is not a
phantom.  Change the IP back to the desired one again, and am able to
ping it.  Reboot, and same problem again (can't login to domain-based
account, no response from IP).  When I do an IPCONFIG, it shows a
self-assigned address (169...).  When I do a NETSH INTERFACE IP SHOW
CONFIG, it shows my desired IP address (although it is not responding).
I try to use netsh to change it to that address again and it rejects it
(indicating it already exists).  I assume the address is hung somewhere,
but I can't find any sign of it in the registry or anywhere else.  I
also tried "netsh int ip reset" and "netsh winsock reset" (found while
googling) to no avail.

Basically, if I try to make this machine use the old/desired IP address,
it will not work.  Any other IP (that I have tested) works fine.  It
will work with the old IP until a reboot.  Any clue what I might do to
make this Windows 2008 R2 Server forget this old IP?

Thanks,

Bill Mayo