Windows 8 is a big change but in many other ways it's not that big.  I
remember the change from 'progman' to explorer (start menu).  The most
common joke was 'I have to go to Start to shut down?'
My original first IT centric job (as opposed to also being the computer guy
who did other stuff mostly) was as a grunt migrating desktops from
DOS/Win3.11/Banyon vines to WinNT3.51 in an Enterprise.  I remember when
Windows NT 4 came out some people came unglued.  However, they did a big
education push after smaller trials with newsletters and documentation to
prepare the user population for the change and it went from RAWR IT'S
CHANGING to 'Hurry up and migrate me already!' over the course of the year.

Any deployment should have some variation of this to properly manage any
change, whether the interface is the same or it changes.

Steven Peck
http://www.blkmtn.org

<<image001.jpg>>