On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Brian Desmond <br...@briandesmond.com> wrote:
> How does the cost of this compare to simply putting the actual server
> under a warranty with Dell that has an SLA on parts? You can get 4 hour
> turnaround 24x7 if you ask. At $25/mo, that’s $300 a year, IIRC a 3 year
> warranty for this type of turnaround is in the $1000-$1500 range, so, you’re
> looking at $900 versus whatever for the actual guarantee. If I was the
> customer I’d simply pay Dell.

  That's certainly a viable option -- indeed, it's the one I opt for
-- but there are scenarios where having another box available could be
handy.  I've been on the short end of a situation where Dell was
easter-egging everything in a vain attempt to fix a software problem
with new hardware, and even with a <30 minute response (we were
practically within walking distance of their depot) it got old quick.
Non-warranty damage also comes to find.  Say, a pipe bursts on the
floor above.  So I can see the appeal of spare hardware.

-- Ben