You don't.  Nothing says you have to talk to a vender or a developer or an
engineer about a piece of software to write a book about it.

Depending on your goal, subject, desire however, it may be very wise to
engage with the vender, senior members of the community, etc. for
information, resources and feedback on a book.  You may also get access to
software or maybe internal engineers/support you wouldn't have otherwise
had access to if you properly engage them.

There are 'testing companies' out there that provide technical question
sets for employers and they don't generally engage with Microsoft but with
independent contractors (note, I know because I've written such
questions).  Not that different then book writing.

There are many books written by people that do not engage with any of the
above out there.  Some are more successful then others.  So, define your
goals and objectives, look at your resources and then do what seems the
best fit to accomplish them.  Hopefully the company is open to engaging
with individuals, figuring out who in a company to talk to would be part of
the challenge.

Steven Peck
Retired Drupal Documentation Team Lead
http://www.blkmtn.org