-----Original Message-----
From: David Lum <david....@nwea.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:24:09
To: NT System Admin Issues<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
<ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>Subject: Ping by name tool

I'm looking for a ping tool that will ping a text file list of hostnames and
return the reply, IP address and the NetBIOS name. Here's what I currently have
to do:

Get list of machine names from AD, McAfee, or other systems. Ping the name
With the returned IP, do an NBTSTAT -A to check the NetBIOS name to see if it
matches the pinged host name

I have to do this because frequently our VPN'd systems don't have a correct DNS
entry, so some management software gets tripped up.

I could do a search for free ping tools, but figured a query here might save me
time if someone has a tool they do that already meets this requirement.
Advanced IP scanner comes close, but only accepts IP's and not host names as
what to ping.

Ideally the output would be in a CSV format. I'm guessing PowerShell can do
this too?
David Lum
Sr. Systems Engineer // NWEATM
Office 503.548.5229 // Cell (voice/text) 503.267.9764