On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Richard Stovall <rich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In a few days time I will have to completely shutdown my datacenter for some
> electrical maintenance.  (Yes, I'm nervous.  It's been online non-stop for
> 6.5 years.)
>
> I have 3 Vsphere ESX 4.1 hosts that I need to shutdown along with everything
> else.  My vcenter server is virtualized.  Two questions:
>
> 1) Do I need to put the hosts into maintenance mode before powering them
> off?  All of the VMs will already be powered off.
>
> 1) I can poweroff two of the hosts using the vcenter client, but after I
> shutdown the vcenter VM how should I poweroff the final host?  Just connect
> the client directly to the host and shut it down that way?  I can't think
> why this wouldn't work.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> RS

One more thing...

If you have a multi-site environment, and your connectivity to the
other sites will be affected, then when bringing things back up, make
sure you have connectivity to the other sites before bringing up your
DC - so firewall/router/VPN connections before the DC, in this case.
Then, make sure your DC is communicating with DCs in other sites
before bringing up the rest of the infrastructure.

It's not that I think that anything *bad* will happen if you do it out
of order - but it gave me much more peace of mind when I did that.

Kurt