My understanding is that CDW is correct.  We were trying to do something
similar here, downloading the trial edition and then using the Volume
License key rather than the trial key.  It wouldn't work.  We had to figure
out who we had to talk to about getting access to the volume license site
and download the appropriate software (Win 2k8) and then reinstall over top.

In our case we hadn't installed any services on the boxes yet b/c we wanted
to get the licensing correct first.  So, while it wasn't a problem for us, I
can't promise you that it will not impact your environment.  If you have a
spare box you could load up the box, move the services off, reinstall the OS
on the original box, and then move the services back.