On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Charlie
Kaiser<charl...@golden-eagle.org> wrote:
> I was in charge of [Y2K] remediation at my company. There was a bunch of
> stuff we
> needed to do; everything from BIOS upgrades to code changes in our product.
> It was all identified in advance and remediated successfully. ...
> But few people recognize how much work went into
> making it that way... One of IT's big triumphs...

  Yes.  And sadly, that's why so many think Y2K was a "scam" or
similar: Nothing major happened.  We did our job well, nothing broke,
and as a reward we're taken less seriously.

  A preventative measure which prevented a problem is deemed
inappropriate.  And people wonder why IT folks hate PHBs.

> ... The actual date was a non-issue. ...

  Indeed.  The biggest myth about the Y2K issue was that it would
happen on 1 Jan 2000.  It's all about time scale, not calendar date.
Y2K would have been an issue back in 1970, if not earlier: 30 year
mortgages and the like work on that scale.  If I had to guess, I'd say
the problem peaked in the mid- to late- 1990s.

-- Ben