Thanks!  I'll try all these before I rebuild it.  Probably get around to
that task middle of next week. It's a residential box and they are moving
their data and picture files to another drive in preparation for the
rebuild. I'd kinda like to see if I can fix it before I decide to rebuild.
They sort of thought that maybe a "virus" (or some kind of malware) got into
the box and that was what precipitated the first call to me. If I can buy
them enough time to wait for Windows 7 release on Oct 22, that might be a
good thing, too.
I'll keep you posted on the progress - may take a week or so as this is not
one of my 'high priority' projects.

The funny part is that it DOES ping things, both inside and outside of the
LAN by address. But not outside by name. It does ping both of the Comcast
DNS servers listed by address so I know it an get there - just no name
resolution. My laptop on the same LAN resolves just fine even using the same
ports and wires that fail on their desk machine. So it definitely is in
their box where the problem is.

Oh, well! I'll either fix it or wipe & reinstall and fix it.  my motto: "It
ain't over 'til I win!!"

Len Hammond
CSI:Hartland
lenhamm...@gmail.com