From: Len Hammond [mailto:lenhammo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:45 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Latitude access problem

Dell Latitude Genuises:

Just had a call from a customer. He decided to set an account password
on his Latitude laptop three days ago. He did this after drinking a
bottle of wine, and now he can't remember his password. He either typed
it wrong twice when setting it or doesn't remember it. Either way he
can't get into his machine. He also doesn't remember or can't figure out
what the Admin password is either. He does own the box and apparently he
recently talked with Dell about this specific Service Tag to get drivers
for a refresh. This is the box he has been using for some class he is
taking so he needs to get the data off of it. It runs fine, he just
can't get into it.

He can pull the HDD and put it in an external case and attach it to
another machine to grab the data before he wipes and reinstalls the OS.
I have never tried to "repair" an operating system installation to reset
passwords and I really think that will not work.  Anyway, he is going to
try a repair before he pulls the drive and recovers his data and then
rebuilds. I believe that there are no viruses involved, but it did sound
like alcohol was involved <grin>.

Anyone have any thoughts, I can try or pass on to him?

Len Hammond
CSI:Hartland
lenhamm...@gmail.com