Very interesting idea. Might have to look at that and see if I can find a
way to do something similar. Problem is our customer service reps sometimes
have a need to use Yahoo or Google to look up customer info. L

John-AldrichTile-Tools

From: Bill Songstad [mailto:bsongs...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:01 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Internet Policies

I was recently at a peer conference where an IT director from a financial
institution had a pretty good policy for dealing with non-work social
networking.  They recognized that users want to use the internet for
personal reasons.  That those personal reasons were often acceptible in
moderation.

For example, they didn't want to prohibit users from checking on their uncle
in the hospital via a relative's reports on facebook, or prevent them from
checking on their last minute Christmas order on Amazon.  They did not,
however want users spending the day shopping or chatting with their friends.

The problem was that users PCs were very private.  In the old days if you
made personal calls, your cube neighbors could tell how much time you were
spending on personal calls.  With PCs, it is much more difficult to spot who
is shirking.

The solution:

Public PCs throughout the building which are in a sort of DMZ.  The PCs are
re-imaged each day and a much more permissable web access is allowed.     No
non-work sites at the users desks.  Many (not all...)  non-work sites are
available at the public PCs.

I thought it was a very good solution to the balance of wanting to allow
reasonable personal access to the internet without empowering the true
slackers to slack unchecked.

Everyone knows that it is okay to check your facebook on your break, but you
cannot be circumspect about how much time you spend doing it.

-Bill

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM, John Aldrich <jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com>