I should have been clearer.  It's not so much a problem with the Quantum, as
it is that it wasn't speced out properly.  They knew it wasn't going to be
able to meet future expansion needs as it was ordered, but they needed a
solution in place quickly, and it was what they could afford at the time.

I'm not the one who runs the backups here, but my understanding is that the
backups are not able to finish before the process to dedupe the data
begins.  So the data is deduped, and then has to be re-hydrated so it can be
dumped onto tape.  This drastically increased the amount of time to complete
a backup to tape.

Supposedly the answer to this is to add another shelf of disks.  Adding
another shelf would bump us up from 11TB to 22TB of dedupe space.  Our end
goal is to have 50TB of storage, which is what we were using to compare with
the Data Domain.  We were comparing a new 50TB implementation of Data Domain
with the cost of upgrading the current Quantum implementation to 55TB.

The other part of the comparison, which played into the pricing, was the
replication of data from our remote locations to our new HQ building.  Data
domain was willing to work with us through the use of an extended "trial"
period, where Quantum was not.

Hope that answers your questions, and clarifies my earlier statements.  Like
I said, most of the decision was based on pricing.