Had a Win 2008 Enterprise SP2 server update itself and reboot over the
weekend.  Problem is, as far as I can tell, it is *not *configured to
autoupdate.

Windows Update shows "Download updates but let me choose whether to install
them".

Local security policy shows everything under Windows update as not
configured.

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate does not exist.

Looking back in the event log, it does appear this was a scheduled event:

Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for
installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates
on ‎Sunday, ‎December ‎19, ‎2010 at 3:00 AM:
- Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - December 2010 (KB890830)
- Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows Server 2008
(KB2416400)
- Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB2305420)
- Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB2443685)
- Update for Internet Explorer for Windows Server 2008 (KB2467659)
- Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB2442962)
- Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB2423089)
- Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB2296199)
- Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB2436673)

Beneath "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" on the
Windows update settings it does show Sunday at 3:00 as the scheduled time,
but it is grayed out, presumably because it is set to "let me choose whether
to install them".

Any ideas?  Am I looking in the correct places?

Jeffrey thanks you all, :-)

Jeff