EMP.

Of course at that point we can all just go home.

From: Charles Whitby [mailto:charles.whi...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:22 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: domain controller in the cloud???

Coronal Mass Ejection for instance?

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Raper, Jonathan - Eagle
<jra...@eaglemds.com> wrote:

“It's a concern I continue to have, even as I advocate the technology for
its technical merits.”

I know that feeling, that’s for sure. I’ve just converted a 70 doc medical
practice to an all electronic system, of which I was and still am a strong
advocate. Paper charts here are, for all intents and purposes, a thing of
the past. It’s great, access to information (potentially lifesaving) is
almost instantaneous from anywhere in the world as long as you’ve got a
decent internet connection and can run a Citrix plugin. It’s great – as long
as it is accessible.

However, I have this sinking feeling that one day, something cataclysmic
will happen and nothing (electronic) will work. Maybe in the next few years,
maybe not. Either for a prolonged period of time, or even indefinitely.
Perhaps it will be a localized event that will take our data center down, or
maybe something on a larger scale – conspiracy theories abound about end of
days type stuff. Just because it has never happened in our recorded history,
does that make it really so far fetched? No, I’m not off the deep end (at
least not yet anyway), but us making ourselves more and more dependent on
technology (not to mention the government) can and does have its drawbacks…

Kinda funny how we can paint ourselves into a corner, isn’t it?

Jonathan L. Raper, A+, MCSA, MCSE
Technology Coordinator
Eagle Physicians & Associates, PA
jra...@eaglemds.com