I think I agree with John on this one. If we have machines that aren't
checking in for 30 days then I want to know why.  And, to be honest,
other than WSUS or perhaps our A/V console we don't necessarily have a
good way to know if they aren't checking in.

In some cases we have found machines where the machine was working o.k.
from the user perspective but Automatic Updates had stopped working for
some reason. So the user didn't complain, but the machine had stopped
getting patched.  Obviously that's a cause for concern for us and needs
to generate a trouble ticket.  WSUS effectively does that for us.

I don't want to find out when the machine gets compromised or has
another more serious problem that it isn't working properly.

Ben M. Schorr
Chief Executive Officer
Roland Schorr & Tower
www.rolandschorr.com <http://www.rolandschorr.com/>